November 17, 2008

Some things I don't joke about

I have been a member of the ACLU for 13 years. I believe in free speech all the way. I would never ever want to censor anyone on their blogs. Whatever you post is your choice.
I love having my blog I feel that it gives me a voice that I don't have in my personal or work environment. I like to joke just about anything-righties, Evangelical Christians, gross stuff-bodily functions, sex, cussing, etc, etc.

There are some things though, that to me, are not a joking matter, and that I won't parody: rape, the Holocaust, people dying-from disease or starvation, and people with special needs. I think with most of those things, it's pretty obvious why I (or someone else) might not want to parody or joke about those subjects. With the special needs thing, though, it seems to be a pretty widely accepted to do in the blogosphere. I am not sure why, but it is.

Having a child with special needs sensitizes you to things. It can hit home. In addition, I have been a teacher to young people with special needs for more than 12 years.

My point: I won't join in/comment on/link with this kinda stuff. That's all.

M.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can relate to you opinion and agree. I also teach special needs kids although not exclusively and lost family to the Holocaust and my wife was raped last May. All topics that should be treated with respect because many of the people you mention can not control their situation but they sure can use our help and understanding.